NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camping with astro gear

gurney

This year we're going to be staying in the UK for our holidays and going camping each time.

Obviously with my telescope and the hope of some dark skies I'll be wanting to pack the car with all my gear. My only concern though is security.

What do others do when they go camping with all their gear? Do you just leave it in your tent if you go away from the campsite or do you pack it away in your car and always cart it around with you whenever you go out whilst on holiday?

Any tips?

i think the important thing is to remember the personal insurance. So if anything happens to your kit its covered. Home insurance usally covers this

Secondly

I would try to keep the telescope in the boot of the car wen not in use.

Put the tripod in the tent. OTA place in the car, along with other expensive kit

I think this is what most do :-)

AT

I wouldn't leave the tripod in the tent. If it has any worth as scrap metal, someone might be tempted. Insurance might cover the loss, but little good insurance coverage will do if you've got a drop dead gorgeous sky but no tripod. When in doubt, lock everything up.. better safe than sorry. :)

When in doubt, lock everything up.. better safe than sorry. :)

Wise words!

Your house contents insurance should cover you. Give your insurers a quick ring and explain what you need covered and why. The underwriters will be more than happy to help you.

I wouldn't leave valuables in the tent - not very secure. If you are unfortunate enough to have it stolen, most insurance companies wont cover loses from a tent as the items would not have been locked in a secure building. Better to keep out of sight in the boot, protected by that old duvet. Insurers are much more likely to cover it if it's stolen from a locked boot (or glove compartment for those EPs), tucked well out of sight.

Also, best not to boast to people on the sight about how good/expensive the kit is. Whilst they might seem genial and chatty whilst you show them sky thru your kit, they could be the biggest crooks going!

As a side note, it seems in the current climate theft in general is on the up. For example, my place of work has been hit by a crazy swathe of break-ins over the past year (our insurance company hate us and we hate our premiums! lol). I think we should be extra vigilant in securing our gear whether is be in a tent, back garden or stored in a shed/obsy. Its a sad fact that in tough times, some people get nasty.

Matt

Forgot to mention something regarding star parties. Even though you're surrounded by other Amateurs, you still need to be very careful. A few years ago, one of the ex-Mods over at Cloudy Nights had her PST stolen while literally surrounded by other CN members. :)

Archived