NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stellarium and AstroTortilla?

Jm1973

Hi everyone!

I have a D3300, which doesn't play nicely with a lot of software, so I use digicamcontrol and have just started trying to use Astro Tortilla. With AT I have to use the 'file open dialogue' option, and manually take pics to use in order to refine my slew till it's spot on. This works well for the most part. However, most of the things I have read say to use somehting like Stellarium to slew to your target, then use AT to get a more accurate position.

My problem is if I launch AT first, it connects to EQMOD and picks up my telescope (so far so good) but then when I launch Stellarium it says no COM port found (or something like that). And similarly if I launch Stellarium first, that connects to my telescope OK, but then AT fails to connect.

What am I doing wrong? I can only seem to connect to one or the oher, but not both.

This has worked so far as I have been using pics from old sessions to feed into AT to get my position, but if I want to go somewhere I haven't got pics of I don't really know how I'd do that, apart from getting photos from elsewhere and feeding that into AT.

I had assumed assumed that both pieces of software would talk to each other, so that when I slewed to a position in Stellatrium, AT would know where I was aiming for, and thus when I then uploaded a photo of my actual position into AT it would be able to work out the difference and put me in the right place (possibly after multiple iterations).

Does anyone have any experience with these software packages who could possibly enlighten me?

Thanks for any help. Clear skies!

My guess would be that some, but not all, of these software apps are being run with admin rights.  The problem is that for each "run level" a separate instance of EQMOD will get launched by windows/ASCOM when the associated application "connects". The first instance will open the desired COM port but the second will not be able to as it is already open.  The solution, if this is the problem, is to ensure that all applications are installed/run with the same rights.

Chris.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisshillito said:

My guess would be that some, but not all, of these software apps are being run with admin rights.  The problem is that for each "run level" a separate instance of EQMOD will get launched by windows/ASCOM when the associated application "connects". The first instance will open the desired COM port but the second will not be able to as it is already open.  The solution, if this is the problem, is to ensure that all applications are installed/run with the same rights.

Chris.

Ah.. that makes sense. I am definitely running some stuff as admin. I will check to make sure everything else is too. Thanks!

edit: a quick update for anyone else with this issue: it worked! I launched Stellarium and AT with admin rights and both prgrams connected to my telescope.

Another thing I've realised is the epoch didn't match across mount and both pieces of software. I have fixed this now too.

Edited by Jm1973