NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planetary camera pixelated

CalumM

Hi everyone I'm using a zwo 120mm with my 80ed had a go at at some planetary imaging but couldnt seem to get a clear pictures of them and seemed pixelated even after processing in registax 

Was wondering if anyone had any tips 

Thanks 

19_32_35.jpg

Pixelation usually means sharpening too much. Jupiter is badly positioned from UK, too low. Makes it extremely difficult to capture a sharp image through thick atmosphere. Mars is currently best placed nice and high in the sky. 

Can you provide more detail on how you took it? Did you use a barlow? What focal length is the scope? How many frames captured and how many did you stack?  

image.png.af0fc587e5092579528df174482e382f.png

2 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Pixelation usually means sharpening too much. Jupiter is badly positioned from UK, too low. Makes it extremely difficult to capture a sharp image through thick atmosphere. Mars is currently best placed nice and high in the sky. 

Can you provide more detail on how you took it? Did you use a barlow? What focal length is the scope? How many frames captured and how many did you stack?  

image.png.af0fc587e5092579528df174482e382f.png

Used a x2 barlow,

600mm focal length, roughly 5000 frames using sharpcap

I'm not sure if that's 600mm with the barlow or without. In any case I'd see if you can get a bit more magnification. 

An 80mm scope will be limited by its small aperture. This is a nice image showing roughly what you might expect from it with Jupiter. 
https://www.astrobin.com/241764/?nc=user

I'm far from the best person on this forum to make suggestions as I've only done a bit of planetary but I'd suggest these points:

Make sure your scope has been cooled outside for a while before you start 
Position it on grass and try not to observe when the planet is above a nearby roof where heat may be rising
Try to ensure the planet is as high in the sky as possible so you're looking through less atmosphere
Wait for good seeing with steady atmosphere
Take your time focusing