NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is the QHY163m still a good buy?

Hello Guys

I have until now been using my unmodified canon 600d to capture pictures with my SkyWatcher 150PDS. I am really happy with the images and know that this is something that I want to carry on doing so have been thinking about the camera upgrade.

I am torn between OSC and Mono and have been edging towards to the OSC ZWO ASI2600 where I would use broad and dual narrow and filters.

However I have just been offered a deal on a QHY163m with a QHY filter wheel (7x36mm) containing the full Baader set of filters L, R, G, B, HA, O3 and S2 for £1325

This would give me everything I need to take RGB and Hubble palate images and would take me to the advanced end of taking images. I understand that the QHY163m is pretty similar to the ASI1600 and have been out for a number of years. Would this be still a viable upgrade or would you save the extra and get a new generation camera?

I also have a moonlight CR2 focuser on order so that I have a focuser up to the task.

There's no reason why the qhy163 wouldn't be up to the job. If you were to buy an equivalent new setup, the asi294mm would be the way to go. So, compare your deal on the qhy163 with a similar setup, based on the asi294mm (or qhy equivalent of this camera). Personally, I wouldn't use nb filters with a osc camera, and would love to see a shoot out, between a mono + nb, vs an osc + multiband filters.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2020 at 18:05, wimvb said:

There's no reason why the qhy163 wouldn't be up to the job. If you were to buy an equivalent new setup, the asi294mm would be the way to go. So, compare your deal on the qhy163 with a similar setup, based on the asi294mm (or qhy equivalent of this camera). Personally, I wouldn't use nb filters with a osc camera, and would love to see a shoot out, between a mono + nb, vs an osc + multiband filters.

Optolong L-eNhance is a good choice for OSC on Emission Neb, Planetary Neb & Supernova Remnant.

• Like 2