ZWO ASI224MC Camera compared to a DLSR

bluesilver

Hi,  I have a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED and currently been using a DLSR for taking Planetary video.

I was just interested to here anyone's thought or advise on what the ZWO ASI224MC Camera is like for Planetary work.

It might be a silly question,  but will i get better results using this ZWO ASI224MC Camera compared to my DLSR  ( 5 DSR )

The main reason is as some might know,  you can't get true 1:1 ratio with a DLSR when recording video unless you use a special program like Backyard EOS.

I don't have this,  just using the DLSR as it is at the moment.

If the ZWO ASI224MC Camera is a better option,  is there anything else that i need to get with it ?  

I have read somewhere that some are saying you need a IR blocking filter if using on planets,  something like this from badder :

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/uv-ir-filters/baader-uvir-cut-filter.html

Do i need to use a barlow with this ZWO ASI224MC Camera or is the magnification all done via the software in the camera?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes the 224 will be a better option. You will need an IR cut filter as it does not have one. I also find the use of a flip mirror invaluable otherwise finding the planet can be a nightmare due to very small FOV.

Check on what you will see using the resources tab at the top of the page and FOV calculator. You can input your scope and camera and try it with and without a barlow.

Peter