Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon Error 99: Mirror stuck?

BrendanC

I'm getting the dreaded error 99 on my EOS1000D.

It's happened several times, and each time I've noticed the mirror seems to be stuck in the up position. This video shows the same problem (I realise it's a Nikon but the problem is the same): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACWamsXdIvM

Eventually after turning it on and off, taking the memory card and battery out, randomly it seems to be ok again for a while. I can immediately tell when it's working again: the sound of the mirror going up and then back down again is recognisable.

The camera is currently working but it's an intermittent fault and it's concerning me.

Is there any fix I could be looking at to avoid this happening?

If not, then any recommendations for good, reliable repairs in the Bucks/Herts/Beds region of the UK? And does anyone have any rough idea how much this might cost to fix?

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 10:01, BrendanC said:

I'm getting the dreaded error 99 on my EOS1000D.

It's happened several times, and each time I've noticed the mirror seems to be stuck in the up position. This video shows the same problem (I realise it's a Nikon but the problem is the same): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACWamsXdIvM

Eventually after turning it on and off, taking the memory card and battery out, randomly it seems to be ok again for a while. I can immediately tell when it's working again: the sound of the mirror going up and then back down again is recognisable.

The camera is currently working but it's an intermittent fault and it's concerning me.

Is there any fix I could be looking at to avoid this happening?

If not, then any recommendations for good, reliable repairs in the Bucks/Herts/Beds region of the UK? And does anyone have any rough idea how much this might cost to fix?

Getting it fixed by a pro will cost you more than buying a new 450D that is a  better camera.

Another option is to take it appart yourself but its nearly a full disasembly to get to the mirror cell.

Adam

Edited by Adam J