NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What should I buy next ?

Hi

I've just purchased my first telescope - a Skywatcher 127 with EQ5 synscan, a 17Ah power pack and moon filter and it should be delivered real soon. Of course, I realise that I shall have some time putting it together, getting used to the scope, learning to read the sky and working out what I'm into but it seems to me that I need to start salting money away into my secret fund to be bale to buy the next toy along if it turns out I like this astronomy lark.

My question to you then is, if you knew then what you knew now, what would you be saving for next if you had a budget of, say a couple of hundred pounds. Would it be a new camera, some lenses, some filters, one of those packs which include both, an additional scope, some books, membership of a society, online learning, a tento to attend star parties, a table, a web cam and laptop or something else.

It seems to me that the list is almost endless and would depend upon what you are interested in but my question to you is, given what you know now and what you are interested in, if you were just starting out again, what would your second purchase be ?

Phil

Phew! what a question!

To tell you the truth, "If I knew then what I know now" - I would be about £2,500 better off, and with the "right" scope to start out with in this fascinating hobby!!

I take it you are not (already!) thinking about your ext telescope!!, but rather about buying some accessories - eyepieces, imaging equipement, camera, etc?

Well Phil, I think you will receive some excellent advice here on SGL.

The scope you have now (Skywatcher 127 Maksutov?) is an excellent scope, and you will obtain many years of fun and satisfaction from this scope. My advice in the scope direction is to KEEP your 127 FOREVER!, and if you are ever thinking of buying another scope in the future, do think very carefully about what you want. I think many of us on SGL have bought, sold, and swapped, many scopes over the years, sometimes regretting our actions and re-buying another of a particular scope we let go previously!!

There is just so much "stuff" out there - tempting us to spend!

RESIST!!

Best wishes to you,

Regards,

philsail1

Just to add my pennies worth, now that you have your scope, read, read, read, read, read, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. If you want to image through that Skymax, get yourself a Philips SPC900NC Webcam (there are still a few left somewhere), or a modded one from Astronomiser.co.uk buy yourself a IR Filter & a webcam adapter to fit a 1.25" eyepiece holder.

I think that should get you going a bit, until you thirst for something bigger ! :laughing3:

Depends if you want to image or not ? I dont so my priority would be better EPs, a dewshield, red light torch and an astro guide book.

What you can spend on this lark is infinite and some of it unexpected too. For instance a Bought anfocsuer upgrade for my scope and the added weight meant the scope wouldn't balance which necessitated buying an extension bar for the weights.

Warm clothing would be up the priorities as well.

Now you have the scope it is important to go out and use it as often as possible so you can translate the books into the real rhing.

If you want to do look rather than image with the scope and you only have the standard Skywatcher EPs 25mm and 10mm get a 2x barlow and a lower power EP like a 32mm wide angle, neither has be expensive. The Mak has quite a small field of view so a wide angle EP allows more of an extended object to be seen.

Mike

Hi guys

Fatntastic advice - I have stellarium and starry night (although not pro) some binos, some thermal undies, tights for inside my socks etc, turn left at orion and other books so it looks like I'm doing well. I guess I should have mentioned these before *looks sheepish* Of course, the advice to get out there and observe is excellent as I really need to learn the night sky (I can do the main sights like Orion, Plaiedes, Aldebaran, plough etc) so I'm hoping I'm on course for a great time with my first few months in a new hobby.

Scott, you say I should have a 32mm wide angle lens and a 2 x barlow. The below won this months group test in S@N magazine (I think) - what do you think of those as they seem reasonably priced to me ?

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/info_BC116.html

Would they fit my scope (Skywatcher 127) do you think ? I know its a 1.25" focuser so it should be OK but I dont know if they only take proprietary eye pieces ! OVL do their introductory set for skywatcher scopes (http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/sky-watcher/maksutov-cassegrains) but it seems to me that the 2mm and 5mm will be unusable with the 127 (as they will be too powerful).

Once again, many thanks for all your advice.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Those eyepieces will fit in your scope - it takes all 1.25" fitting eyepieces. I have tried some of those Skywatcher eyepieces and I did not think they were very good to be honest. The Revelation set will work well in your scope as would the Revelation set that FLO sell, which is lower in cost:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=revelationepset

The good news is that the Skywatcher 127 Maksutov's are long focal length scopes and therefore most eyepieces will perform well with them.

John

Archived