How to transport scope safely

I am due to go on holiday in UK for 2 weeks staying at a couple of fairly remote cottages so a good chance of dark skies if the weather improves.  When you travel does everybody pack  up the rig, take camera off, FW off, close scope up to shortest length and pack everything in their cases then up it all back together the other end. Or do you sort of just carefully wrap it up in bubble wrap and sit the whole right on the back seat.

I do intend to pack it all up as that seems the sensible thing to do with expensive equipment but was curious if everyone did this.

Steve

My view - dismantle and pack. I regularly go on music summer schools and consequently have to travel with instruments. You never know what weird things can happen when travelling - things move, you have to make an emergency stop, go round a bend and something shifts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve!

I would dismantle everything and pack it separately, as nicely as I can. I know it's the most time consuming option, but better be safe than sorry. The last thing you want to happen, if you have to put the foot hard down on the brakes for some unexpected reasons, is to hear your precious gear rolling down from the back seat and ending up on the floor.

Possibly ruining, not only your gear - and your chance at dark sky viewing/imaging - but your entire vacation.

Pack it nicely, tie it down so it doesn't bounce here and there in the trunk, and, if you are traveling with company, have them hold stuff on their laps like if their life depended on it! 🤣

Have a great vacation and I wish you clear skies!