NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Basic AP question

Evening all.

I am looking to just take a few pics of the moon through my 114/500 newt, by attaching my D3300 to it. I'm going to buy a T ring and adaptor, and an eyepiece projection adaptor.

I've looked around and I can pick up all 3 for less than 20 quid on ebay, from China. I've looked nearer and some of them can cost multiple times that.

Am I ok to just get a cheapie from ebay? It seems like there's not a lot of moving parts, so to speak. It's just something to hold the camera onto the telescope.

All opinions welcome.

As long as they are made from a good quality sturdy material, should be ok, although First Light Optics sell a good quality T Ring for about 15 quid. 

If your telescope let's you, I'd attach your camera prime focus instead of eyepiece projection (I.e. attached direct to telescope without eyepiece) as you will probably get better quality images. 

6 hours ago, Adam1234 said:

As long as they are made from a good quality sturdy material, should be ok, although First Light Optics sell a good quality T Ring for about 15 quid. 

If your telescope let's you, I'd attach your camera prime focus instead of eyepiece projection (I.e. attached direct to telescope without eyepiece) as you will probably get better quality images. 

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll leave the eyepiece projection adaptor for now.

2 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll leave the eyepiece projection adaptor for now.

Depending on your field of view, eyepiece projection (or a Barlow lens) may be useful if you need higher magnification if your going for planets or small objects. But for general purpose AP and moon imaging you should be fine going prime focus

• Thanks 1