Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finder Shoe Madness.

I would like to know who is responsible for the design of the quick release dovetail finder shoe? Why didn't they design it so that the finder bracket slides in from the top instead of the bottom. So if the thumb screw does become loose your finder doesn't slide out and fall to it's impending doom. This is exactly what happened to me and it was a nearly new RACI Skywatcher 9x50 @ £70 ouch! Still working though thanks to some good old superglue but not a happy camper. Could always convert to a guide scope I suppose. 

• Sad 1

On many refractors, they won't slide in from the front because the tube widens just ahead of the focuser where the finder shoe is mounted, so there isn't enough clearance.  Otherwise, I have no idea why they are designed that way.

Edited by Louis D

Hi Louis, yes that is what I thought and I think it was probably Vixen who started that trend. I think finder shoe on the focuser at 11 o'clock is ok on small scopes with lightweight finders but I think as soon as you get a larger finder the 11 o'clock position tends to put the scope out of balance, especially when pointed near the zenith. I've never used them personally. Have always fixed a new bracket on the tube at 12 o'clock in parallel with the dec axis to keep the balance. 

I have wondered about this also and thought it was a flaw.

On the topic of finder position, on an equatorial mount as above I have the finder in line with the cointer weights so it causes no problem. On alt az mounts  I rotate my focuser so that my finder hangs low at about 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock so it partly counterbalances the eyepiece.