Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what do you guys think of this

Its a Sky-Watcher 130 long newtonian. Would be a good scope - looks like the tripod tray is missing and perhaps the hand controller. The black box thats mentioned on the side of the mount is a motor for the RA axis but I see no controller mentioned. Also its should have two eyepieces and a barlow with it.

You could buy one new with all the bits and of course a warranty delivered for about £150 - if you had to pick up the bits that may be missing the controller would likely cost about £35 at a rough guess and the eyepieces and barlow around £15 if you shopped around.

These turn up quite regularly at around the £100 mark 2nd hand - in fact theres a short tube version of one of these for sale in the for sale section.

Bear in mind the seller on that item wants £20 delivery - so you could be looking at £45 for the scope, £35 for the handcontroller at least - thats going to add up to £95 - personally I'd pass.

It's a reasonable starter scope - similar to the 130PM, but it has the spherical mirror and a longer focal length. New price is £126. They way its written it sounds like you get what you see. I would agree with AB. There are better s/h scopes out there.

Mike

That guys was the kind of advice which is only possible by speaking to people who know what they are talking about, so i shall pass on this one.Thank you both very much for the prompt advice.

best regards

Mick

People always go nutty on ebay is my experience and start bidding anything up to stupid money.

A month or so before christmas someone asked me if I might be interested in a friend of theirs second hand telescope cos it was going cheap. Anyway I thought ok - might be a good thing for my youngest child. Nice cheap scope. So I take a drive to look at this thing. Its a Tal-1 but in very sorrowful condition - big ding in the tube, mirror is absolutely filthy, focuser is busted and some of the bits for the pillar stand are missing. No EPs, but a box full of rusty bolts and odd looking bits of metal believed to be part of the scope.

I suck my teeth a lot and offer £30 for the lot on the basis that with a bit of time and effort I can put it into order well enough for my youngest to use and if its gets broken - well its only £30 down the tube ( pardon the pun ).

So chummy with his busted Tal thinks about it and says no - he has talked to his mate down the pub and they have come to the conclusion that ANY telescope must be worth serious money - after all look how much Palomar and Hubble cost and out comes all the guff.

Anyway - cut a long story short I walk away because I think even £30 was generous - next thing I know they have sold it for about £100 on ebay.

Only last week I was wandering past a shop in Dorking and saw what I took to be an old Tal scope going for £80 - I poppoed into the shop to have a close up look and saw it was an ancient Tasco 4.5 refelector. It was in DREADFUL condition, paint flaking off it, mirrors shot to bits an old .96 focuser.

Blow me if he hasnt sold it - apparently he looked on ebay and got the prices from there. There was someone selling an old Russian telescope for £100 :hello2::D:)

The scope above went for £51 in the end. Add £20 for delivery, the RA motor controller is only available as a complete kit costing £67 and you have a price of £138 and the scope still shy of an EP and any warranty. Sighs

If its any help theres a TAL-2 going in the for sale section which would be a good scope and its going at a good price.

Archived