NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 127eq collimation problem

I just got my new telescope. I think it's not properly collimated. I am attaching a few images, can someone check and tell me.

The red line is where I can see my eye.

Also is it normal for the middle two circles to be out like that. Or do they have to aligned?

IMG_20200811_170339.jpg

IMG_20200811_170339__01.jpg

Hi @Rishabh and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Looking at your attached images it does kook if it the collimation is out of sync. I think you are supposed to see the mirror clips in the reflection on the secondary. Did you have the camera/phone dead centre?

At the back of the OTA there are three sets of two screws to adjust. One of the screws does the adjustment and one does the locking. Though I am not sure which is which. You will need a collimation tool: a 'cheshire' collimator, a collimation cap or a laser collimator. (note: if using a laser collimator, you will need to make sure that it too is collimated). A collimation cap fits in the eyepiece holder and should be more or less accurate. A 'cheshire' collimator is usually the preferred tool by many die-hard amatuers.

There are tutorials here on SGL and elsewhere on the internet. Search for 'Astro-Baby collimation' ...or something like that. Other SGL'ers will advise what is the best method, as I have two catadioptrics and one refractor.

Edited by Philip R

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Rishabh and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Looking at your attached images it does kook if it the collimation is out of sync. I think you are supposed to see the mirror clips in the reflection on the secondary. Did you have the camera/phone dead centre?

At the back of the OTA there are three sets of two screws to adjust. One of the screws does the adjustment and one does the locking. Though I am not sure which is which. You will need a collimation tool: a 'cheshire' collimator, a collimation cap or a laser collimator. (note: if using a laser collimator, you will need to make sure that it too is collimated). A collimation cap fits in the eyepiece holder and should be more or less accurate. A 'cheshire' collimator is usually the preferred tool by many die-hard amatuers.

There are tutorials here on SGL and elsewhere on the internet. Search for 'Astro-Baby collimation' ...or something like that. Other SGL'ers will advise what is the best method, as I have two catadioptrics and one refractor.

Thanks for the reply. I found this video on YouTube 

It shows how to make a collimation cap. I'll give this a try. I don't have any collimation tools for now. And I'm not sure whether my phone was in the centre or not either 

Those two circles in the middle.. should they be one on top of the other?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

It does look like the rotation of the secondary mirror is a bit out. What collimation tools (if any) do you have?

I don't have any as of now. Those circles in the middle should they be one on top of the other?

You REALLY need to make sure your eye/camera is centred exactly in the focuser. You will need a collimation cap as a minimum - although you can make your own.

Have a look at this guide:

http://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/collimation-guide-newtonian-reflector/

and here is a previous thread with someone trying to align their secondary (with some difficulty) using the above guide and a collimation cap.

To make it clear - I think from your images that your secondary mirror is rotated out of alignment. From Asto Baby's guide, start at "Collimation Step 2 – The Secondary Mirror / Focus Tube Alignment" (using the coloured paper) to align your secondary under the focuser and rotated correctly. You need a collimation cap of some type to help you do this. Unless anyone can suggest a better way?

If you follow the guide, the first step is to insert some coloured paper which removes a lot of the reflections which can be confusing to what you see.

I think your secondary mirror is well out of alignment - that will need to be sorted before you can start trying to align anything else.

Are you confident that the hole in your collimation cap is completely central?

Actually. I've just realised that your scope is a Bird-Jones type. This will make the alignment of you primary a little different from the guide. However, the secondary does look quite a way out.

Collimation is a task that a newtonian owner needs to learn. I don't know if  your seller would consider this a good reason to return. Where did you get it from?

Hi Rishabh.

The manual for your scope is here: https://www.meade.com/pub/media/downloads/62/Polaris_EQ_Models_V003_En.pdf 

What you are seeing is described as a secondary misalignment (fig 15)

If you follow the Astro baby guide (Collimation Step 2 – The Secondary Mirror / Focus Tube Alignment) and stop before you do any actual adjustments. Just take a photo of the view through the cap, and post it here.

That is extremely out of alignment. Can you please double-check that the hole in you home-made collimation cap is as central as possible. The hole should be only 1.5 - 2mm in diameter. Like so: 

image.png.b70c0889b4e82e4107c74f72e50d7651.png

OK.

The next step is to adjust the position and rotation of the secondary. We want to get it centered under the focuser and rotated so that it presents a concentric 'circle' to your view.

Loosen the centre screw slightly, keeping the tube horizontal, so that nothing can fall down. Be gentle with these screws, don't any damage by using too much force. If the centre screw is stuck, loosen the other 3 outside ones VERY slightly

image.png.1c53eca6896b8fdb86f082a5c87f652f.png

When it is looser, you should be able to rotate the mirror around the tube's axis. Be careful not to touch the mirrored surface. Rotate it so that it appears circular in the collimation cap. Then tighten the screw gently, so it is held securely.

Then post the pic

Nice - that's miles better!

Now you can adjust the 'tilt' of the secondary, using the 3 outer screws. You want to 'lift' the mirror up in that picture, so that it is concentric with the inside of the focuser tube. Currently it's a bit low down (in the view). 

When you adjust with these 3 screws - again be gentle. Loosen one first (1/4 turn) then tighten another by 1/4 turn (or tighten the other 2 by 1/8 turn each). you don't want to leave them loose - but again, don't overtighten. You'll soon get the hang of it. At this stage, all 3 screws heads should be extending out by roughly the same amount.