NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CPC1100 with Edge OTA - mount clearance when using Edge rated focal reducer & diagonal

Hi 

Could anyone who has or had a CPC1100 and used a focal reducer (Celestron #94241 ) along with a 2" diagonal enlighten me please as to whether or not there is enough clearance between the back of the OTA and the top of the azimuth clutch on the mount? As we know, the OTA cannot be moved within the forks of the CPC so it's an important consideration for me.  

I have so far asked 2 people - one has said yes there will be clearance, the other said that the above set up will hit the mount.

I am considering getting one of these telescopes and whilst not being able to use a focal reducer with a diagonal is not a deal breaker it is part of my important information gathering process. So any information or insights regarding this will be very gratefully received, thank you. 

As a bonus question attracting bonus thanks from me - can a 8" Edge OTA mounted on an Evolution mount (my current set up) be fitted with a focal reducer & diagonal? Maybe with the OTA moved to its very forward most position in the fork arm saddle?? 

Thank you 

Siouxsie 

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie

Hi, just checked, room to spare.

Mine is the Nexstar 11 GPS, but i think the CPC is the same. 

edit: i see u want to use the bigger reducer, if i’m not mistaken, that reducer is more aimed at astrophotography, the smaller and cheaper 6,3 reducer should work fine for visual. 
I don’t use it though, a 40mm eyepiece is fine  for me.

46667B3E-CBD7-44D1-960F-3DFD8E0AA90B.thumb.jpeg.f4ba5357150d641383e2965914da16c9.jpeg

Edited by Miguel1983
  • Like 1

@Miguel1983

Thank you very much for that :) 

I suspect you are using Celestron part number 94175 which is the focal reducer for non Edge telescopes. The CPC I am considering is an Edge, and I need part number 94241 - which is another 3.5 inches bigger than the 94175. I think this is why I have received varying responses thus far.  I feel I may not have the diagonal / mount clearance with the Edge rated reducer. This may influence my purchasing decision to buy an non Edge telescope.

I like your set up. You have a Baader click lock - right? This one ? https://agenaastro.com/baader-2-sct-click-lock-eyepiece-adapter-visual-back-3-25-sct-thread.html

Is your diagonal a Baader too? 

Does your focal reducer screw straight onto the threads at the rear of the OTA?

How do you like your Feather Touch focuser?

Alternatively, I could still get an Edge and when using the Focal Reducer I could investigate if there is a way of attaching the diagonal straight to it (without the Click Lock, thereby giving me the mount clearance I need); I know that it is possible to attach some Baader diagonals (for example) directly to the rear of the OTA by unscrewing the nose of of the diagonal and using a locking ring. 

Then, whe I am not using the focal reducer EG for planetery visual work, I can use the Baader Click Lock as a visual back with the diagonal inserted into it with nose re-attached. It's a bit of work but I think worth it to get the benefits that using a focal reducer for DSOs brings along with Edge optics. 

Any thoughts, insights, comments or views on my plan are all very glady received, thank you.

Siouxsie 

On 10/08/2020 at 19:16, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

@Miguel1983

Thank you very much for that :) 

I suspect you are using Celestron part number 94175 which is the focal reducer for non Edge telescopes. The CPC I am considering is an Edge, and I need part number 94241 - which is another 3.5 inches bigger than the 94175. I think this is why I have received varying responses thus far.  I feel I may not have the diagonal / mount clearance with the Edge rated reducer. This may influence my purchasing decision to buy an non Edge telescope.

I like your set up. You have a Baader click lock - right? This one ? https://agenaastro.com/baader-2-sct-click-lock-eyepiece-adapter-visual-back-3-25-sct-thread.html

Is your diagonal a Baader too? 

Does your focal reducer screw straight onto the threads at the rear of the OTA?

How do you like your Feather Touch focuser?

Hi,

yes that's the reducer i use.

You'll need to check what connection the CPC 1100 or Edge 11 HD has, mine has the 3,25" connection and a reducing ring (just in front of the reducer on the photo above) to 2"SCT, so i use a 2" click lock adaptor.

The diagonal is from Prima Luce Lab.

The reducer screws into the adaptor mentioned.

The Feather touch focuser is very smooth, i do get a lot of focus shift, but i think that's to be expected on a SCT scope, although i suspect the Edge has a better mounted primary and less focus shift, not sure tough.

Edited by Miguel1983
lots of typo's
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Alternatively, I could still get an Edge and when using the Focal Reducer I could investigate if there is a way of attaching the diagonal straight to it (without the Click Lock, thereby giving me the mount clearance I need); I know that it is possible to attach some Baader diagonals (for example) directly to the rear of the OTA by unscrewing the nose of of the diagonal and using a locking ring. 

Then, whe I am not using the focal reducer EG for planetery visual work, I can use the Baader Click Lock as a visual back with the diagonal inserted into it with nose re-attached. It's a bit of work but I think worth it to get the benefits that using a focal reducer for DSOs brings along with Edge optics. 

Any thoughts, insights, comments or views on my plan are all very glady received, thank you.

Siouxsie 

Yes, there are diagonals with SCT treads instead of a 2" nosepiece, i have one from William Optics, i's old though, not sure they still make that, but some other brand might.

I don't use it however, i don't like a screwed on diagonal, it prevents you turning it to a more convenient viewing position if needed, that's where the Baader Click lock is genius.

Keep in mind, you're almost never going to look straight at the zenith, and if on occasion you're selecting a target that is in that location, you can always wait an hour or so until it's past zenith, so i wouldn't bother a whole lot.

• Like 1