Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Option

I am an amateur and new to this forum. Am asking for some guidance as to what my best option(s) for seeing deep space objects? Am looking at buying a new telescope. If I could get suggestions that would be great. I know that just purchasing one and setting it up isn’t going to be that easy at seeing nebulas, galaxies, and etc. Any guidance as to what telescope would be great and which site to purchase from. 
Thank you in advance 

Welcome ZeroLynxx84.

As the basic purpose of any telescope is to collect light from distant objects in space, it means that the larger the aperture of the telescope the more light it will collect from those objects,  the eyepiece then magnifies that object to enable you to view it in more detail.

Now you say you want to view nebulas and galaxies which are usually very dim objects, so you will ideally need a telescope with as large an aperture as you can (a) afford, and (b) physically handle.

It will help us to advise you if we know your budget, and if you have any preference to the type of telescope you prefer, refractor, reflector, cassegrain etc.

The biggest bang for buck is undoubtedly with a Dobsonian scope, I have a 12 inch Skywatcher Dob and while it gives me stunning views of the moon and main planets it still only gives me faint views of deep sky objects from my Bortle 4/5 skies.

I see you are in the USA so I can't recommend suppliers over there, but we have quite a few members on here from the states who can.

Good luck! 😁

Geoff,

Thank you so much for response. My wife and I are actually looking at the Dobsonian telescopes now. Must definitely be a sign as to we were doing that before I read this message. 

Thank you again my friend.

~Daniel Frederick~

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ZeroLynxx84 said:

I am going to be observing from a dark location.

That will help tremendously in your quest to see the "faint fuzzies" as we call them

Even so, you are still going to need a Dobsonian of at least 8 inch aperture to see them well. If you can handle the size then a 10 or 12 inch will be even better, the bigger the better!