Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are BST Starguiders useable with Smartphone adapters?

Girders

Anyone out there using BST Starguider eyepieces with a generic smartphone adapter?  Was planning to upgrade one or two of my stock SW eyepieces for use on my SW 127 Mak but I've just realised that the shape may mean they can't be used with a phone holder.  Has anyone tried using these with a standard 'clamp' style holder?  I think this is the one I have (or very similar).   It's not so much that I need the ability to use the phone for images, but my six year old daughter finds it easier to view on the phone screen than looking down the eyepiece - and it means I can see what she is seeing and not left worrying she hasn't seen it properly through the eyepiece.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions very welcome please....

I've tried my smartphone holder on the BST eyepieces, without much success.  I use the same design as you've linked to on Amazon.  I just find that the clamp won't seat correctly, due to the wider diameter of the eyecup, as compared to the supplied eyepieces.

Your mileage may vary though...

Edited by Guest
further info...

14 minutes ago, Louis D said:

You can just pull the rubber eyecup straight off.  Perhaps then the adapter would work:

That's very handy to know. Will have a think over next couple of days to choose which size to go for (first?) and will order one. I'll get the benefit from visual use myself anyway regardless of if things work out with the adapter.