Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crater chains / catenas

John

Lovely moon this evening.

I'm enjoying finding crater chains, some of which are also known as catena's.

When you start looking for these there seem to be lots to be seen. Notable ones this evening have included Catena Davy which bisects the crater of the same name. This one needs high magnifications and steady seeing to pick out the delicate line of craters between 3km and 1km in diameter.

Slightly easier to see is Catena Muller, a chain of 5 craters close to the crater Muller. Another chain is in Deslandres and seems to be unamed but starts a the small crater known as Hell H.

Some debate still over the formation of these features. Multiple impacts or volcanic or maybe a mixture of causes ?. Catena Davy seems to be a candidate for multiple impact but the Deslandres chain's origins are not so clear perhaps ?

Interesting features to observe anyway :smiley:

I'm using my Tak 100 refractor at 200x - 300x to observe these. Not my images I ought to say.

Guntram Lampert on Twitter: "And here is my best try at Catena ...

Muller & Muller Crater Chain & Gylden

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/monthly_01_2020/post-252462-0-38761700-1578099412_thumb.jpg

• Like 3