SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neowise and the ISS from the Dordogne, with a smartphone.

62 years since my first telescope (a 2.5" Negretti and Zambra refractor), age has led me to abandoning telescope astronomy. But I have a new hobby - trying to take sky photos using a smartphone.  So the appearance of Comet Neowise, along with a long period of clear night skies, offered a challenge. My smartphone is a Meizu Note9 - chosen because of it's camera sensor. Certainly not in the same league as the expensive smartphones, but competent nevertheless.

After a few trials 17 - 18 July I took the first picture below. 20seconds at f/1.7 and ISO800. Taken with the main (back) camera of the phone - by using the 10second delay I had time to sit the phone down, leaning against the house wall.

Then the heavens-above website showed that the ISS was going to be seen pretty close to the comet on 20July at a sensible time (for us it was at 23:28). Nicely dark. Two pictures, each 20sec, 1.7 and 800. First one with ISS 'passing through' Neowises' tail, second one a few seconds later - again a 20sec exposure.

Lucky to have very dark and clear skies here, so I am pushing on, trying to find apps that will allow me to do intervalometer photos with long (>5second) shutter speeds. Then I might be able to stack pictures. Can anyone point me, please?

P00719-234910.jpg

P00720-232940.jpg

P00720-233034.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...