Early Neowise - Before the clouds...

Managed to squeeze some pre-cloud images between 10-30 & 11.
A "schoolboy error" allowed ISO setting to float to 6400. Argh! 😝
Canon 100D + 70-200mm f/4 at ~0.5s - Min / Max focal lengths...

Neowise1.JPG.b84238d8f5f5bec407a2c95771eabbf5.JPG

Neowise2.JPG.e0e17b3cddf9775e308df51c2081a629.JPG

I do forget stuff I don't do regularly. Moral: Preparation... and more "HowTo" notes! 🤣

• Like 4

Nice shots just the same Chris and well done :)

Here was clouded out so didn't get another look. Like you though, where I'd nit used the bridge camera much in a while it was a re-learning process and of course in a rush you forget to do x or y. Did manage a couple shots the night before but had to push to ISO1600 to capture it before it disappeared behind a roof, tho I think better prep and setting up the tripod I could've done better at ISO400/800, maybe, but I was resting the camera on a wobbly fence so case of making do. 

• Like 1

Heheh. WAS going to have another go last night - But didn't fancy
more frenetic know twiddling / button clicking re. invisible objects? 😛
Didn't realise it was "straight down our Road"! Too late now though...

Did make me wonder about Neowise (Comet!) magnitudes though...
I see there are predictions / Fits in this (Portuguese?!) Brazilian Paper:

http://www.rea-brasil.org/cometas/2020f3.htm

2020f3graf.gif.698529fa1dcf1e313c7f47588a1a381f.gif

😎

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1

last night here there was too much cloud in the area it'd show so I didn't get another look, will try tonight tho before I go to bed, have to get a reasonably early one tonight unfortunately. 

I guess your camera is an optical viewfinder and no live-view?

Would make it harder unless it's naked eye visible as you'd have to take a shot and review and adjust/retry. My bridge is electronic viewfinder so pushing the exposure makes it vaguely visible, but in the end I just zoomed back and took a punt. Well overexposed but then I was playing hand-held leaning against a fence panel, upside tho is it picked out a decent amount of stars too.

image.png.80c643fb86fc761237acf45a64c19d94.png

Can't recall the exposure not but I think that was ISO1600 F4 and around 1/20s

A little editing pulling down the brightness etc yielded this version

image.png.9da3b1a56c5d26bf130269794784a24c.png

Didn't shoot that raw tho, I'd have tried more and exposure bracketing if I'd have the tripod and remote release, but it disappears behind the roof on the right a little time after so I just enjoyed the view thru the binos after that. It should then become visible from the front of the house but the bright LED street lights make it hard work looking past the glare so I didn't bother 😉 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

A pleasing (to me anyway) Postscipt. Thanks to inspiration of A.N.Other (who bravely
*stacked* ISO 6400 images!) I found FIVE exposures of varying quality on the Camera.
Amazing what *DSS* can achieve with a small number of images! Aesthetically better?
Of course stacking of (infrequent) images also "blurred out" some of high clouds! 🥳  

1_stack5.jpg.0ab84d27bb7b62bc45366877047894c9.jpg

2_stack_Iris.jpg.caa8fa7db081f356cf93b60eb5b2f789.jpg

The cable release / timer box started "beeping et me" as it ran out of power too. So
the above was not my *only* lack of prepartion. But I will be ready-er NEXT time? 😛

P.S. I also used IRIS to flatten-away some of the vignetting in the second image... 😏
(I note that you can actually "see" stars of around Mag +10+ - Even in lighter skies!)

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1