Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX 11 and PHOTOMETRY

I am a fairly experienced observer returning to photometry following a long break and house move, and wondered about the Celestron Advanced VX 11. There are previous posts about its unsuitability for astrophotography, but I haven't ever done astrophotography and my Optec SSP3 photometer just requires a light bucket and being able to keep target stars in a fairly large ring for 10 seconds only. I accept the comments about setting up and would aim to get an observatory with permanent set-up. I have a 20cm Newtonian on a non-portable equatorial mount, but quite like the idea of the larger optics and the option to be occasionally portable. Some stars I am interested in are not visible at certain times. Once centered I do have to rotate the flip mirror to allow light onto the detector. It is a very light touch action. I guess the vibration could be an issue. I can't deny the price is attractive but if it can't cope then....

Thanks

I have no experience of the mount but the fact an advert refers to light accessories would put me off. 

Not sure about the capability of your current mount but could that take a bigger scope?

Other options could be a CCD or CMOS camera for photometry (with photometric filter) then you can integrate for longer as needed.

Regards Andrew 

I have used a C8 for various things, ditto several Celestron Nexstar mounts.

I suspect that your photometry isn't the most demanding application re the mount so I can't see why it should not work.

I should point out though that the C11 is a big OTA and though not extremely heavy, mounting it by yourself might not be any fun. 

If you don't need an equatorial and field rotation is not an issue you could use an alt-azimuth mount.  Not that there are many options. But there is a CPC1100 which if it is anything like the CPC800 will have a very stable and well behaved mount.  But the OTA/mount assembly is very heavy and I would not like to try lifting one.  If you are having a permanent observatory these weight & handling problems would be solved.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

• 3 weeks later...