NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

127 mak cam compatibility

Hi, Im not great with the numbers and currently image with my frac, ive purchased a 127mak for viewing and would like to image with this now as well.

I have a 120mms but want colour, i do have a 294mc pro but not sure if this will work with the mak well for planetary?

my last question is would the 290mc work ok with the mak?

many thanks for any advice

dan 

Just now, ebdons said:

Hi, try this utility as it may answer your question. ton https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability

Hi Thank you, that was the first place i tried before coming here but it says its ok for good seeing but not so for poor or ok seeing. Same with the 120 and the 224 but i know people that use these all the time so not sure how good a calculator it actually is?  

thanks again 

The calculator is ok for most setups, I have the 127 mak and use a 224c  and 290c mainly 127 mak is for everything bar DSO but to be honest I have never used it for that, 224c i use for solar/lunar/planetary, the 290c I have is mainly solar on a separate setup on a solar modded 8" newt. I use my 120mm as a separate guider but other folks may have ideas about what is possible on a mak127.ton

Edited by ebdons
update
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ebdons said:

The calculator is ok for most setups, I have the 127 mak and use a 224c  and 290c mainly 127 mak is for everything bar DSO but to be honest I have never used it for that, 224c i use for solar/lunar/planetary, the 290c I have is mainly solar on a separate setup on a solar modded 8" newt. I use my 120mm as a separate guider but other folks may have ideas about what is possible on a mak127.ton

Thank you, that's really helpful that you have both that I'm looking at. Would you say you would prefer the match with the 224 more or the 290 for planetary? 

The 224c is really best for planetary on my 127 and 8" sct, but the 290c sensor can be suitable for DSO if you fit a clear window and cool it, not that I have adventured too deep into dso objects with it yet. opinion differs if you really need to fit a clear window in place of the ir cut that is usually built-in to colour cams, but I like to have the option to do some ir imaging as both these sensors are pretty sensitive in the ir range. good luck with the 294c pro as they are good value for money. ton

9 minutes ago, ebdons said:

The 224c is really best for planetary on my 127 and 8" sct, but the 290c sensor can be suitable for DSO if you fit a clear window and cool it, not that I have adventured too deep into dso objects with it yet. opinion differs if you really need to fit a clear window in place of the ir cut that is usually built-in to colour cams, but I like to have the option to do some ir imaging as both these sensors are pretty sensitive in the ir range. good luck with the 294c pro as they are good value for money. ton

Thank you ill get the 224 i think as thats what I've been mainly looking at. Yes im really enjoying the 294 its great. 

Best

Dan