NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie wanting to mount an 8” Dob.

Hello, I hope i am posting in the right place.  I am looking to mount my bresser messier 8” Dob that I purchased last month. It already has rings and is easily mountable. 

If I buy the sky watcher eq 6 r pro goto, will I need anything else to enable the scope to automatically track my targets? 

I am new to astronomy but have taken a keen interest and already developed a couple of half decent photos. I started with a budget of £200 which soon turned into £1000 after I bought a better scope than i initially intended, several explore scientific eye pieces and some filters. 

As I am enjoying it i now want to take it further and start getting some planetary photographs before moving onto DSO once I get the hang of it.  

I am expanding my budget a further £2000-£3000 so I can jump into Astro photography. I am aware this will get me the very basics but I want to make sure I can do it before I buy a dedicated Astro photography scope. 

I know I need to get a T ring, I have a bresser 2x Barlow already so I’m now just looking to get some help on what else I need to buy to start out. 

Thank you. 

7 hours ago, Ricky-17 said:

If I buy the sky watcher eq 6 r pro goto, will I need anything else to enable the scope to automatically track my targets?

Nope, the only extra you need to consider is a power supply of which there are endless options 

On 15/07/2020 at 07:56, Jiggy 67 said:

Nope, the only extra you need to consider is a power supply of which there are endless options 

Thanks. I have electricity in my garden right next to where I observe so I think I’m good to go. 

You will need a dovetail to attach to the tube rings which will then be clamped onto the mount. Losmandy type dovetail will be best for this size of scope.

Have you got a camera? Planetary and deep sky photography are very different beasts and require different approaches. You can just about do both with a DSLR but having a dedicated astro camera will produce best results