NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I use the Orion G3 monochrome imaging camera

I'm new to astrophotography and recently purchased an Orion G3 monochrome camera. When I point the camera at a far away tree in the day, I see, well the leaves. But the problems start when its dark. When putting the camera into the telescope by itself, and take a photo i get the image attached. The camera was pointed at a few stars that were bright hoping they'd show up on the camera but they don't, only the white washed out image. The gain and offset settings were default, the image taken was with .001 seconds of exposure, and it was a dark frame. Why is it I am able to see the leaves just fine in the day, but when its dark and I point it at stars all I get is the washed out imagine. Do I need longer exposure, a filter, or change the gain/offset? How do I not see white grains? The light frames don't show anything either. 

unnamed.jpg

I suspect that it is out of focus. Are you able to point at a very distant object in the day to check - NOT THE SUN. If not then you just need to experiment with it at night/twilight. The Moon would make a good target. Take longer exposures - try 1 sec and see if you get anything.

Peter

0.001 seconds exposure is too fast for stars (interesting, the camera spec says 0.01 seconds is the fastest).

Try 0.1 seconds on the moon, which might or might not be over-exposed, but will prove the camera is working. 

Adjust exposure, and then adjust focus.

This focus setting will be correct for stars too, but experiment with 1 or 2 seconds exposure to start with.

Take measurements or make marks on the focuser for next time you set up.

Michael

I am not familiar with this camera, but an ASI224 planetary camera will record a 1st magnitude star in about 1ms with an 8" telescope.

If you focus on "leaves" then stars at infinity may be sufficiently blurred that they fail to show.