NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canadian Telescope CT152 vs. Celestron Omni 150

Hello everyone,

I'm a freshman here! 😁

I was looking for a 6" and almost got to Celestron Omni XLT 150 (reflector). But I've recently got another option: a second-hand Canadian Telescopes 152mm - f/5.9 which I believe is in a good condition. I've read some reviews and seems it's not that bad. Sounds like chromatic aberration is not that much big issue in low magnifications. I know it's been a while since Canadian Telescopes is out of business, but its 152mm is tempting anyway.

By the way, I've had a 15x70 bino for years and now I'm planning to move to the next level. So this is gonna be my first choice on telescopes. 

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these scopes. Any comment would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello @dara_t and welcome to SGL.

The CT152 F/5.9 will be great for low power views but will show a lot of chromatic aberration at high power when looking at the planets for example.

The 150mm reflector on the other hand will show no CA at all.

Personally I dislike CA but others don’t mind it.

It all depends on what you want to use it for that will dictate your choice.

Edited by dweller25

Used to have the TS version of this scope. Was a good low power wide field scope but also quite heavy so will need a good solid mount like an EQ6 if GOTO.

The Omni 150 is a fraction of the weight and will will work on a smaller / lighter mount.and is a better all round scope. 

FDA34278-881E-441B-AC59-58FC26B29409.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

On 03/07/2020 at 10:58, dweller25 said:

Hello @dara_t and welcome to SGL.

The CT152 F/5.9 will be great for low power views but will show a lot of chromatic aberration at high power when looking at the planets for example.

The 150mm reflector on the other hand will show no CA at all.

Personally I dislike CA but others don’t mind it.

It all depends on what you want to use it for that will dictate your choice.

Thanks for your welcome. 😄

Well actually I'm a beginner on scopes, and I've read CA would be reduced with some filters. I'm considering photography for next years maybe, but visual observation is kinda more important now.

Yeah reflectors show no CA at all, but I guess they suffer from coma probably, need rotation within the rings, maybe a little collimation and stuff. Sounds more like a trade-off, right?

On 03/07/2020 at 11:22, johninderby said:

Used to have the TS version of this scope. Was a good low power wide field scope but also quite heavy so will need a good solid mount like an EQ6 if GOTO.

The Omni 150 is a fraction of the weight and will will work on a smaller / lighter mount.and is a better all round scope. 

Yes I'm a little worried about the mount. Seems it's around 25 lbs and I guess something like EQ5 or Celestron CG-4 (Omni's) can't handle this heavy guy very well. So your final advise would be a reflector, right?

Whilst there are many filters for CA I found all of them disappointing and none of them could make the views as good as a reflector.

For me the choice between the two scopes is easy but it’s  what suits you best at the end of the day.

Good luck