NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Attaching DSLR to mount

I am feeling really stupid as I can't seem to figure out how to attach a camera with lens to an HEQ5...

Now before you think I've gone mad....

First of all camera gear: I have a choice of Nikon D7500 or Z6 as well as a Canon 700D (modded). Lenses are: Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 24-70mm and 70-200mm all f/2.8 plus the Nikkor S 24-70mm f/4 Z mount lens. (I have a few other lenses but they're the key ones.)

I have one option which technically works but I feel is less than ideal: short dovetail plate to which I can bolt a ball head. This doesn't seem ideal as there is a lot of weight on the ball head with say the longer lens at around 2.5kg and the added height will add leverage as well. 

So, I was thinking something like the ADM camera adapter (something like this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-camera-mounting-adapters.html ). OK so that will clamp onto the dovetail.... but am I missing something? Doesn't the camera end up being 'under' the dovetail?

Feeling like I am missing something very obvious...

I usually go for the short dovetail and ball head option myself but do agree that its a lot of mass hanging on a single screw even though my large ball head itself would probably hold a small car :) I do think there is a market for some sort of "cage system" to hold a DSLR and lens firmly with at least two mounting screws although have seen some DIY versions of this type of thing using videography kit.

I do always include a safety "lanyard" attached between camera and mount just in case as well as safety screws on the dovetail to prevent it from slipping off.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

I personally went with the dovetail and ball-head approach for my Nikon D5300. Even with my heaviest lens (70-300mm), I didn't have any problems. Just make sure the ball-head is well made and able to support some good amount of weight. This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Diameter-INNOREL-Panorama-Ballhead-Camcorder/dp/B07XXTL8K5

If you use the ADM adapter, yes it looks like the camera would be upside down, but it shouldn't matter. If you buy the clamp, make sure it is for the correct type of dovetail (Losmandy or Vixen, usually).