Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem balancing Skywatcher Startravel with camera

Hi, I new to astronomy and haven't had much chance to use my newly purchased scope.but want to be ready for when I can :-)

I have a Skywatcher Startravel 102 on the AZ4 mount and steel tripod. Really pleased with how solid this setup is.

I have a T2 adapter for use with my Fuji X-T1. When I mount the camera to the scope however the scope moves as it is very "eyepiece end" heavy. In fact even with just the "handle" on it is not possible to balance the scope and I need to tighten up the clutch. I am unable to move the OTA along the dovetail due to the mounting bolts blocking it. If I bought a longer Skywatcher dovetail would this solve the problem, or would it just be longer with the mounting bolts still being in the way? I'm having difficulty visualising how the skywatcher dovetail would attach to the tube rings in the same place and still allow the OTA to slide through the mount!! Or is there another option?

If anyone else has had this issue and solved it how did you do it?

Thanks

Richard

I have the same scope, and I reworked one of the dovetail bolts so that the bar would slide endways into the clamp of a SLT mount.  Basically I found a countersunk head screw with the right thread and countersunk the bar to sink the screw head.

You could do the same on a longer dovetail bar, if you have tools.

Thanks, that's an idea. FLO have just got back to mje and the Skywatcher dovetails all have the same bolt issue so maybe a DIY cou8ntersink option would be worth a try - just the cost of a suitable bolt rather than £52 for a suitable alternative dovetail

• 3 weeks later...

I did think of adding weight to the from but I've found a 18cm vixen dovetail at 365astronomy for £22 that has the mounting bolts recessed into the dovetail. This will mean that I can get the mount the extra inch or so along the bar. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Richard