Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two asterisms, two planetaries and two planets

Nyctimene

Here, in SW Germany, latitude 49°36', the sun descends in the midsummer nights down to 16.1° below the N horizon, so the conditions are almost the same as during astronomical darkness. During the last years, I've learned to make use of these beautiful and warm nights even for DSO observing, for about an hour to 90 mins. This morning, I put out the 8"f/4 Hofheim Instruments traveldob and started, under 5.5 mag/SQM-L 20.84 skies and excellent seeing, with the 24 mmf/82° Maxvision to chase two asterisms new to me, that Sue French mentions in "Deep-Sky Wonders" (pg.166-168). The first one, 6° W of Rasalhaguae, named "Sudor Ophiuchi" ("Sweat of Ophiuchus", who wrestles with a giant snake) presented as a 2.5° extended integral-sign "S", starting at 60 Her and extending SE-NW, with a "box" at it's NW end, somewhat similar to Ursa minor. An orange star in the middle of the chain, and the nice double Struve I 33 close by were distinct. Over to Harrington 7; a 1.5° zigzag chain of 8.5-9.5 mag stars, nicely framed by the 2.5° TFoV. WSW in the same field, the first planetary, IC 4593 (10.8 mag), the "White-eyed Pea" could be made out with 80x mag as a slightly diffuse star. With a 6 mmf Ortho, giving 133x and an O III, the faint halo and the central star were visible quite well. Brighter (8.8 mag) was the planetary NGC 6210 "Turtle Nebula", at 133x a very obvious green-blue round disc, the central star not visible. Doubling the mag to 266x and using the O III didn't add more to the view. The sky was now slowly brightening, so I finished with a short look at Jupiter (4 moons; equatorial and tropical bands) and Saturn (the Cassini readily visible at the ansae). After 11/2 hours, I ended the midsummer session at 02.45. No glow-worms up to now - I hope to have their company during the next promising nights.

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 4