Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is there a way to control the RA on the SkyGuider Pro with a laptop?

soundwave

Hello everybody.

I've ordered an iOptron SkyGuider Pro as my first step into non-planetary astrophotography. Eagerly waiting its arrival.

I know there is a handset I can buy to control the RA on the SkyGuider Pro, and there are also left/right buttons on the mount itself,
but I was wondering if there is a way to control the RA using a laptop.

I would assume it is theoretically possible, because if I would be using an auto-guider, then it would basically control the RA from a laptop for corrections.

If I somehow got an adapter from that type of connection to USB and plugged it where the handset goes, would I be able to control it using EQMod or something similar?

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

This is late but it is possible to control the SGP through the HBX port using a computer.  The HBX port does not use the Ioptron RS232 command set. It uses Ioptron undocumented commands at 28800 baud, 8-N-1 protocol.

To control the SGP from a USB port, you'll need a USB-to-serial converter that interfaces to the HBX with  3.3v Tx & Rx signals. The Adafruit FTDI Friend (ADA284) with a 6p6c connector is the solution that I have used. The HBX pinouts are available on the Ioptron website.

If interested in the HBX command set and responses, LMK.

• 1 month later...
On 22/12/2023 at 17:21, BoulderLou said:

This is late but it is possible to control the SGP through the HBX port using a computer.  The HBX port does not use the Ioptron RS232 command set. It uses Ioptron undocumented commands at 28800 baud, 8-N-1 protocol.

To control the SGP from a USB port, you'll need a USB-to-serial converter that interfaces to the HBX with  3.3v Tx & Rx signals. The Adafruit FTDI Friend (ADA284) with a 6p6c connector is the solution that I have used. The HBX pinouts are available on the Ioptron website.

If interested in the HBX command set and responses, LMK.

Hi BoulderLou,

I've been looking for this info ever since I got that HBX for my SkyGuider Pro and noticed that it doesn't communicate with the iOptron commander. I'd be super interested in that command set, as I reckon this would allow the SGP to slew back if it crosses the meridian, computer controlled, something that right now requires setting an alarm in the middle of the night 😕
TIA Seb

• 1 month later...

Nevermind, I just bought two of those FTDI controllers and cut an old ST4 cable in half and used a man-in-the-middle to obtain the protocol:

:MRSVE# => GET mount info                  :RMRVE12170518#  170518 -> firmware version, 12 SGP?
:MGGR => GET guiding rate                  :HRGR5550# (0.55)
:MSGR5050# => SET guiding rate             :HRGR5050#
:MSTR3# => SET tracking rate (3, sidereal) :HRAS013900105#
:MSMR2# => SET tracking rate (2, 1/2 sid)  :HRAS023900105#
:MSMR1# => SET tracking rate (1, lunar)    :HRAS011900105#
:MSMR0# => SET tracking rate (0, solar)    :HRAS010900105#
:MSMR1# => SET move RA? 1, (slew right)    :HRAS013900105#
:MSMR2# => SET move RA? 2, (slew left)     :HRAS023900105#
:MSMR0# => SET move RA? 0, i.e. track      :HRAS013900105#

:MSMS1# set speed 1x   :HRMS0#
:MSMS2# set speed 2x   :HRMS0#
:MSMS3# set speed 8x   :HRMS0#
:MSMS4# set speed 16x  :HRMS0#