Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ascom connection to Skyfi III via HW VSP3 virtual serial port

Astro-Geek

...well, it's something to struggle with during all these clouded in nights....  🤓

I'm trying (and failing) to use my Skyfi III to control my Nextstar wirelessly from my PC.

I know all the hardware is fine because I can control it wirelessly from my Android tablet, running SkySafari Pro, with the Skyfi connected to the Celestron hand controller via a USB lead.

When I connect the handset's USB lead directly to my PC's USB ports, I can also control it fine, through any of my Ascom enabled apps, (eg Stellarium).

...However, when I want to connect the PC wirelessly via the SkyFi, I have to enable a "virtual serial port" to be able to give the Ascom device selector a valid com port.

..and that's the bit I haven't managed.   I was following the instructions here: synscan wifi adapter and skysafari — Star Surfing

...but whenever I set up the com port pointing at my Skyfi's IP address, it doesn't appear in my PCs list of valid Com ports, so I can't choose it in the Ascom driver.

Whenever i click the create Com port button in VSP3 it says " status - not connected "

...helpppp... 

Edited by Astro-Geek