Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starting in deep space photography

I have a Celestron 127slt which I use for planetary observing but would like to start deep space photography.

What would people recommend, is it best to buy a beginner set up or get the best rig I can afford straight off. I see that a good mount is vital.

Budget wise I could stretch to £5000 or so if it was worth it.

I have seen it said that mono cameras/filters are better but make things more complicated - despite that would you still go that way.

Is it easier to get results and experience with a beginner set up then move on or will a higher spec rig make it easier to get something decent.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to SGL.

This is rather interesting question - many are reluctant or can't afford to set aside such a large budget to start with.

I think that probably best approach would be:

- buy the best mount you can afford

- start with a decent starter scope and OSC camera.

- maybe throw in guiding as well

Decent starter scope and OSC camera won't cost that much (about a third of the budget?) and can be sold easily when you feel ready for upgrade. Good mount will save you trouble at the start and also having to upgrade later.

Scope should be up to 600-700mm FL class scope, and camera something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-294mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html

You'll need a laptop with that to capture images.

Mount recommendations up until recently would have been iOptron CEM60 (basic version) - but these are no longer being made and are replaced with CEM70 which will be more expensive (not sure if that will be justified or not).