NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rupes Recta

PaulG

Tonight has refueled my fire to keep my scope.

It's been an age since I last saw a clear sky and the Moon together.

So tonight I had a good couple of hours enjoying a visual feast of the Moon.

I was looking down the Terminator when I saw an odd looking crater that seemed to have a very long thin nose with two odd looking eyes and a small mouth at the very end of the nose. I couldn't take my eyes of it, I even made a little sketch since I couldn't see the detail I was looking for on my Moon Map.

Before the end of the viewing session I took an afocal image through an 8mm Hyperion with an old Canon S30 3.2mp camera.

I then identified the feature on my Virtual Moon Atlas.

I am chuffed to bits to have seen this tonight and I can't wait for the next meeting with Lunar.

The straight line or scarp you can see is around 67 miles long.

Here is the picture

post-14640-133877352545_thumb.jpg

Great image Paul...

As you say the length is about 110km and its height is between 240-300 metres, inspite of it´s appearance it is not a cliff, but a gentle slope, the width of the fault is 2.5km. The rille is dated from the Imbrian period of 3.8 to 3.2 billion years ago.

Great part of the moon.

Thank you for the comments.

It's always difficult for me to get a sense of scale with the Moon.

Thanks for the detailed info Doc.

Just looking is no good for me, it's great to know how long, how wide, how deep etc etc to put things into perspective.

Paul

Archived