Line in pelican pictue

Hi

I've been setting up my telescope to take the 'Pelican' nebula these last few nights with my old Nikon D3100 and Skywatcher 130PDS. When I processed it today there were 2 lines in the image. Looking back at my subs, on day one there was a line on the right side but not in the middle, day two was almost a write off, but the in limited frames I had the line was sort of in the middle, and then last night the line had moved again a bit to the left but no where near where it was before.

I have checked my equipment can not find anything wrong with it, could this be a comet? It does seem to be a bit too straight if it is. Its weird how it moved so much between nights 1 and 2 but not so much between nights 2 and 3.

Its a bit of a pain because I was hoping for a nice pelican picture. I guess if it was a comet then it would be less annoying but if its a slowly gravitating hair it would be disappointing!

Thanks

Andrew

Autosave.tiff Night 1.NEF Night 2.NEF Night 3.NEF

Edited by Andrew Singleton

Thanks, I guess what puzzles me if it was an satellite or space debris then why would it be a consistent line instead of a smaller one or even just dot?

I should add that my exposures were 3 minutes long, and the line is in each of them for 3 nights gradually moving from right to left. The raw files I attached were just 1 sub of several each night.  

If the same line is present in several subs in the same place, it may be something out of frame causing a reflection.  Bright stars can cause this (Alnitak in Orion is a favourite) but can also result from inconvenient street lights, neighbouring (in)security lights, or even equipment LEDs showing up in the wrong place.

In the case of your night1 image, the line points straight back at Deneb in Cygnus:

662629388_Night1WWT.jpg.9d489dee38ad4da0953762e6514ddfad.jpg

I haven't processed the other images but my guess is they will show a similar origin for the line.

Not sure what the solution is, maybe someone else will comment?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that, yes you are right that all of the lines do point to Deneb. It does seem to slightly move between frames so maybe this is just the reflection moving. I've never had anything like this before. This hobby just keeps sending me curve balls to steal an American phrase! 

Just a note on this, I've gone back into Star Tools and I am becoming familiar with the 'Heal' module. It really is a powerful piece of software as its doing a reasonable job of getting rid of the reflection line. You can still tell its there but may miss it to an untrained eye.  I also processed it quickly so I could put my questions to this forum and have realized that it is a 2 bit process! The noise is terrible and the bloody green is far too prominent. Its time to do another process, just maybe not in work hours...