NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light with ASI178MC

GraemeH

I treated myself to a new ASI178MC recently to pair with my EdgeHD8 in an effort to acquire some high resolution lunar images (and maybe some planetary ones).  This was also my first use of a new ZWO EAF attached to my EdgeHD8, so although I'm not 100% happy with the image I think it was OK for my first use of the equipment.

ASI178MC, EdgeHD8, HEQ5
~2500 frames captured via SharpCap @ Gain 0, Exposure 125ms (I suspect I would be better with higher gain and shorter exposure)
PIPP used to convert ser to avi, Autostakkert 3 to stack the best 25%, and Registax 6 for wavelets then some minor adjustment in Photoshop CC 2020

Tips for improvement always welcome, and thanks for looking.

Graeme

Lunar closeup 29 May 2020.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

PIPP used to convert ser to avi, Autostakkert 3 to stack the best 25%

Why convert ser to avi? AS3 works with ser files - Just wondered.....

Nice start, though.... I use the AltairAtro version of this 178 - still early days but my version seems a little slow....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

Why convert ser to avi? AS3 works with ser files - Just wondered.....

Nice start, though.... I use the AltairAtro version of this 178 - still early days but my version seems a little slow....

I did try to put the ser file straight into AS!3, but it wasn't having it. Could have been me doing something wrong though - this was my first time with anything other than a DSLR. 

• Like 1