NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod or portable pier?

Could i ask for your opinions please.

I have an LX200 8" that i use tend to take out to dark sites in Derbyshire.

I use the standard Meade tripod at the moment but am considering a portable pier.

Will this be better from a stability point of view?

I will admit that i am drawn to the asthetics of them...just sort of want one really!! :)

Hi. John.

If your Meade is on a wedge, and you are doing Imaging, then a permanent pier for the mount will be a big advantage.

Having it accurately poler aligned is a one off job, and a big time saver. As long as you can keep it adequately protected from the weather, and interference from undesirables then I would say build a pier for it. Inside a roll off roof Obs too if you can manage it.

If you intend to have it portable , then stick with the tripod.

And just to add, the meade tripod is quite a stable platform. A pier Ideally should be buried in concrete. A pier with outriggers would be quite heavy, and a bit of a bind to transport.

Ron. :)

Thanks Ron

Sorry i have probably not made myself clear.

I will always be going out to dark sites as where i live is totally blown out with lights.

I want to use a portable pier instead of the tripod if i will get better stability.

I am mainly visual at the moment but will dabble with imaging later.

I think that a pier or pedestal will be stiffer than a tripod. Is that assumption correct?

Thanks

John

I modified my post when I realised that your observing was at another site. I would prefer the tripod personally, as I said in my modified post, a pier is really at it's most effective when in a permanent position. Having said that, there are some who perhaps prefer a pier for the reason you would want one, but a good solid pier will be a lot heavier than a tripod, which can be made very stable.

Ron.

portable piers must be solid enough or you would not find people mounting AP1200's and other 80-100lb mounts on them. That's without the scopes and weights. Also the legs are less likely to get in the way as there aren't any.

Dennis

Archived