Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using the finderscope

I have just started using a Seben 700-76 reflector telescope. Among all the problems people talk about, no-one mentions that to even see through the finderscope you have to almost be standing on your head! The finderscope is so close to the telescope that it is very difficult to get your eye in position (and usually it's the wrong eye) in order to  align the telescope. Help please. This is the second telescope I've tried and I don't want to give up at the first try.

Welcome to the world of Newtonians 😉. It's even worse with dobsons. If you have a suitable finder bracket, maybe you can buy a RACI finder. Much easier on the ergonomic side and corrects the view too.

Hi @Mr Frizzle and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I am a 'lefty' (i.e doing most things with my left hand, left eye dominant, etc). My advice if you are left eye dominant would be to wear an eye-patch. Some may people may laugh, but actually it is intuitive because it will help to relax the facial muscles of the non-viewing eye, as you are keeping both eyes open and therefore relaxing the non-viewing eye.

As @Waddensky says, quote: "...buy an RACI finder..." - Personally, I would invest in larger aperture 'scope before buying in an RACI finder if you are satisfied with the 'Newtonian' design. I myself own one refractor and two 'catadioptric' style, (i.e. Mak and SCT), telescopes. 

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1