Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems focussing with T ring, D40 and Cheap Telescope

Hi,

my first post here and looking for some advice please.

I have a cheapo Skylux Lidl telescope on an equatorial tripod that I got for free on Freecycle last year and in the past I have had some nice(ish) pictures of the moon by holding a cheapo digital camera in my hand in front of the eyepiece at a set distance and tried to gently presss the shutter button. All very slapdash and not particularly good but I was pleased to be able to take pictures of 'stuff in space'.

2gxg3sy.jpg

I have since upgraded to a Nikon D40 and just bought a T ring and adapater and with great excitement rushed outside in the -5C to try and take some photographs.

The adapter comes in two sections, one long tube that connects to the ring and a shorter tube. I couldn't achieve any focus with the long tube in place so removed that and just used the shorter one. But, even with this I found it very difficult to get a sharp picture and am quite disappointed with the results.

2ciie15.jpg

I am using an InfraRed remote to stop camera shake but it is the focussing I am having trouble with. The slightest movement on the focussing wheels and the image is way out and blurred.

Where am I going wrong and is there anything I can improve with the set up I have?

thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

I originally had the diagonal in place but took that off as I all I could see was a white blur. Once I removed that I could get better focus.

Maybe I should wait until daytime and try again.

Archived