NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Combined power supply for complete rig

Hi there.

In an effort to tame the tangle of cables, and with an eye to the future, and possible new kit, I'm thinking of making a 12v power distribution system that will power my complete rig, from a single, 240v mains supplied PSU - a 12v DC "ring main" if you like.

I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of power rating I should assume for the cabling. It seems that the mount (a CGEM) could draw 3-4 amps when slewing, but I'm just guessing at other items. I'm assuming the following equipment will be attached together:

CGEM mount, Pegasus Cube focuser, 40mm 12v dew heater strap, 20mm 12v dew heater strap, Altair Astro 183c Pro Tec camera, Startech 7 port 12v powered hub for USB connections, plus in the future, possibly a filter wheel and a rotator.

Off the top of my head, it feels like a 10 amp system would probably suffice; no problem going heavier of course, but I don't want to wander into overkill territory 😉

If there's a basic 12v distribution box available, that I'm unaware of, that would be of interest too.

TIA

Steve