Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with guidescope

I recently purchased an Altair guide scope package - 60mm scope and GPCam.  I can't seem to achieve any focus at all while using it.  In the day time it is just a bright light on the screen and at night very grainy (please see pictures below).  I have also attached a picture of how the scope is setup in case I'm doing something wrong on that front.

I have turned the focusing knob all the way around, adjusted the exposure times and tried different gammas but never come close to any sort of correct picture.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Screenshot_20200515-185200_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20200515-185544_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200515-185555_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Diddykong

Looks like you don't have enough range in the focuser to achieve focus. 

Try pulling the camera further out of the scope. If you still cant achieve focus try making a tube from card as a temporary measure and see if you can achieve focus. Once you have achieved focus you can measure what length of extension tube you will need. You can do this in daylight - then tweak it on a star.

This is a similar scope and similar camera - but you can clearly see the extension tube between the camera and scope.

unnamed.jpg

Thanks for the replies.  I did try a range of exposure times and adjusting the gamma Kev last night and in the day. But nothing worked.

I'll try pulling the camera further out Billy.  I assumed since it was sold as a guide scope kit ( scope and camera in one) it would have been optimized already.  I have attached a picture of the camera separate to the scope so you can see the sizing.  I'm using in conjunction with a PDS200. 

I also tried with Sharpcap software and again couldn't render any kind of image.

20200515_191451.jpg