NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are DSLR's always this much hassle?!!

saxon

I have 3x supposedly astro worthy DSLR's - Pentax K1 full frame 36megapixels, 2x APSC bodies Pentax K3 24mp and Pentax K5 16Mp.  Also have an APSC Fuji XE3.  They're all fantastic cameras and as a keen experienced photographer and inexperienced astronomer I thought it might be worth dabbling in astrophotography.  I have a Bresser Messier N203 f4.5 Newtonian on their EQ5 style stand with the Bresser Goto.  Telescope is mounted on a concrete pier and has accurate polar alignment.  Goto tracking is pretty good - I'm getting objects just inside the midpoint of a 24mm Explore Scientific 68 degree eyepiece and getting better all the time.  Scope has been collimated.  Current rack and pinion focuser is rubbish and wobbles in the drawtube so have a Moonlite CR2 on order due in 2 weeks ish.

I bought a suitable T adapter for Pentax and the T2 thing to connect to a 1.25" eyepiece holder.  First problem - couldn't achieve focus like that.  Tried my cheapie barlow in there too and still no joy.  Discovered using the bright star Arcturus that I could get focus with a 25mm cheapie plossl that came with my scope.  Was out last night with superb views in the Explore Scientific 24mm eyepiece of M81 and M82 so decided to see if I could photograph them.

Couldn't see them through the viewfinder or the back of camera so had no idea if the camera was actually pointing at them or if they were in focus if it was!  Tried some long exposures (30secs ISO 800 and 1600) and got nothing worthwhile at all, no visible galaxies there! 

My question is how do I manage to get an image of the galaxies on my laptop or camera to see what I am taking?  Would it just be a whole lot less hassle to dabble with a basic astrocam - and if so which?  I already use Stellarium for planning observing and have just bought Starry Night pro 8 (which has more reliable telescope control for my mount).  Have the upgrade cable coming for my goto system to flash the firmware and enable computer control via Starry Night (apparently reliably) and Stellarium (reportedly flaky). 

Grateful for any advice!

Saxon

Edited by saxon

24 minutes ago, saxon said:

Bresser Messier N203 f4.5

Hi

Mmm. I can't find that model. Maybe it's a new release? They do a 203 f5 and a 203 f4. Both of those have the -rather nice- 2 1/2" hex focuser and both of them come to focus with dslr's with plenty of travel available either side of focus. We have the 208 f3.9 which uses almost the same components and I have used the f5 without problems. 

Could you post a photo of the camera attached to the telescope?

Cheers.

If you are viewing with an eyepiece, then swapping in the DSLR, you are bound to have moved off target.

Canon cameras have software that allows the magnified Live View to be seen on a PC or laptop screen, but I don't know what's available for Pentax.

If you up the ISO to the max value (12800 ?) and take a 1 minute exposure you should see your target if it's there.

To be more sure of being on target, goto a bright star near your target, centre it on the screen and SYNCH, use it to fine-tune your focus too.

Then a goto your target should be accurate.

Michael