NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M78 and Loop

Rodd

Thank you Barry Wilson for suggesting a method in Pixinsight for inserting longer focal length data into a wide filed image.  There is a way to do it by treating the project as a mosaic, but that method is quite complex.  I like Barry's method of aligning the images to the wide field picture, then making a mask for the area you want to insert.  As the only active area of the image, the mask region is the only area effected, it is the only area that changes.  In the following HaLRGB image, I used the FSQ 106 with the .6x reducer (318 mm) for the wide field, and the TOA 130 (1,000 mm) for the brighter sections of M78.  I did revisit the FSQ portion of the data as well prior to the insert, which I am pleased with.  It was a tough data set that took me a very long time to get to an acceptable point.  The image has 30 hours of FSQ data (1750 60 sec subs! and 50 300 sec Ha subs).  I actually do not know how much TOA data I have--I never documented it!🤦‍♂️!  I would assume a normal amount for me 15-25 hours.  I used the ASI 1600 camera for both data sets.  Now if I can manage to set up the scopes in tandem, I would be all set.

FSQ-TOA-3a.thumb.jpg.2ef3bd9ef3325b0114a467ceeb4daec3.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Always look forward to seeing your efforts Rod.You rarely disappoint.

Beautiful.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.  This was a tough one.  When I shoot this again I think I will not be using the huge number of short sub approach.  I have moved to 300 sec subs with this camera and they seem to be working a bit better.

• Like 1

Well--to be complete, this is the final image--a bit of star control and a slight lifting of the dust.  I still think it lacks about 10% of something--fine scale noise control, not sure what.  At least I can live with it now.  Almost 1,800 subs is an awful lot to go through to not be satisfied.  Again?.....never.  I like my 300 sec, 60-100 count just fine.  I guess I am more of a CCD than a strict CMOS  man when it comes right down to it.

FSQ-TOA-4a.thumb.jpg.0630e9680df4574ccc73e69be670c118.jpg

• Like 1