Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Piggyback advice for a Celestron 130SLT

Good afternoon everyone! 

Could anyone offer some advice on a mount for the Celerstron 130SLT for me to piggyback a camera onto, if it is at all possible?

I appreciate the Alt Az mount on the Celestron isn't ideal for any form of very long exposure photography but i've seen lots of other pictures from people that i'd be more than happy trying to replicate myself.  With the other half furloughed at this moment in time a dedicated Astronomy Camera isn't a viable option and the camera i already have (Sony Cybershot DSC-H400) is a bridge camera with 63x optical zoom so i want to try imaging with just the camera attached onto the telescope rather than use it as an afocal camera, or would this be better using the obvious added light gathering the telescope would offer?

I'm really quite a novice with the camera as it is, adding astronomy into the mix is a whole new can of worms! Just excited to potentially be able to get started and enjoy the learning along the way.  Even if results aren't fantastic with my current camera then the actual experience gained via the image processing afterwards would at least be of some value for when i can afford a dedicated Astronomy camera.

Many thanks! 

I can see all sorts of issues trying to do this such as scope balance and actually fitting it. I think that, if you want to try some astro with this camera, you would be better off just using a sturdy tripod. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Peter

• Like 1

Disappointing but not unexpected, thought this would be the case as the camera is quite heavy anyway! If anything it has just confirmed my expected disappointment :D
Thanks again