Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pixinsight Synthetic Luminance tutorial?

Hi All,

I was just wondering what the current thoughts are on using Pixinsight to make a SynLum from a set of R, G and B shots.   I imagine the advice might be:

1) Calibrate, register and integrate each channel to get R G and B masters.

2) Average these three. Hey presto, SynLum.

The question is:  Should the R G and B integrations be averaged straight away?  Should they be noise-reduced first?   Linear-Fitted?  DynamicBackgroundExtracted first?   What settings/process is best to average the three together? PixelMath? ImageIntegration? (What settings?)

All tips much appreciated!

On 01/05/2020 at 21:56, mikey2000 said:

Hi All,

I was just wondering what the current thoughts are on using Pixinsight to make a SynLum from a set of R, G and B shots.   I imagine the advice might be:

1) Calibrate, register and integrate each channel to get R G and B masters.

2) Average these three. Hey presto, SynLum.

The question is:  Should the R G and B integrations be averaged straight away?  Should they be noise-reduced first?   Linear-Fitted?  DynamicBackgroundExtracted first?   What settings/process is best to average the three together? PixelMath? ImageIntegration? (What settings?)

All tips much appreciated!

There is a good section on this in the Inside PixInsight book but basically integrate up the RGB masters, and then immediately integrate the masters - without pixel rejection and with zero weighting. I think that's all, from memory. Then do all your processing work on SL, R, G and B masters (plus L if you captured it, of course). I've used L, R, G, B => SL before to good effect.