NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M44 The Behive Cluster

Chefgage

M44 The Beehive Cluster taken on the 19-04-2020

60 lights and 10 darks. Lights were iso 800 and 60 seconds exposure. Taken with a 75mm to 300mm lens at 200mm on a Canon 200D mounted on a star adventurer pro.

Beehive Cluster.png

• Like 1

A lovely image of one of my favourite objects. I have fond memories of M44 as it was one of the first Messier's i found. I decided I'd take my 12X60 binoculars to a park not far from where I live, so that I'd be in a reasonably dark place. I also made a flask of coffee and equipped myself with a pocket guide to the stars by Patrick Moore. I'd set my flask and book on the bench alongside me and sat back sweeping the sky above the houses opposite the park. Suddenly M44 drifted into the field of view, and what a thrill it gave me. Binoculars are arguably the best instrument to use to see this M object visually. This was back in early 1981 and I was 18 or possibly just turned 19 years of age.   Moments after my first deep sky find, a pair of headlights suddenly started moving towards me along the park path. It was a Panda car (remember them?). Someone had apparently noticed a weird pervy teenager looking into the bedroom windows of the houses opposite the park. The two Bobbies found it both amusing and interesting as I explained what I was actually looking at, and helped themselves to my coffee, before leaving me to carry on my lonely sky search.  Happy memories!   After that, I seem to remember dragging my girlfriend along with me to dark countryside locations, every time I felt like a deep sky expedition.  She never complained, and always encouraged me in my hobby. She's still with me as my wife almost 40 years later. Every time I see the Beehive, this memory comes flooding back as if it was only yesterday.  Thanks for posting that great image! 

• Like 1