NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cooling a camera with a freezer pack or similar

cuivenion

Hi, on my last imaging session I noticed a big jump in temperature and noise in my uncooled camera. I was thinking of using freezer packs of some sort with a home made neoprene fitting for the camera. I'm looking for lightweight and as long lasting as possible freezer/gel packs. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I wouldn't know a good example of this type of stuff if it hit me in the face

Hi, I am working on something like that for my ASI224.  I also have a baader modded 600d and to be honest I really don't want to try peltier cooling that. The Martin Pyott method may work for the 600d and I might get around to that, but I would like some options to cool the 600d while I'm working on the 224.

Actually did a quick test with the ASI224 attaached to the heatsink/peltier with an elastic band. 8 second exposures at 135 gain the camera was at 27.5c, atfer about 10 minutes of cooling it was down to about 8c! That was without any thermal compound between the camera and the peltier.

I was going to try and figure out a cold finger design but this seems to do the job just fine.