NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eyepiece advice

Rogue Leader

Ladies and Gents,

I could do with some eyepiece advice, I have been using the standard 10 and 25 mm skywatcher eyepices that came with my dob but I would like to upgrade.

I have seen these celestron zoom eyepieces on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Celestron-8mm-24mm-Zoom-1-25-Eyepiece-4in1-Lens_W0QQitemZ350146918983QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Telescopes?hash=item350146918983&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Now should I go for that or take the plunge and get something like the Revelation set from FLO

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=revelationepset

Thanks in advance

Mike.

Celestron is a reliable brand, and so for that matter is Skywatcher. You may want to consider getting a 2x Barlow and a 32mm Plossl. That would give you a range of eps from 5 to 32. If you can afford to, get a better quality Barlow and a wide angle ep, but if that's beyond your budget for now, the inexpensive Barlows by Celestron, Revelation, etc. all perform acceptably.

I've got one of those and tbh, all I use it for is going through the GOTO alignment process. Saying that though, I can see the attraction of using one on a dob in that you wouldn't need to change eyepieces, just zoom in and out as necessary.

Not that I've used one but perhaps the Baader Hyperion zoom might be a better (although more expensive!) choice? I'm thinking a wider field plus apparently it's virtually parfocal would be two good reasons to at least have a look.

Tony..

Archived