NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Older Celestron Heavy Duty Wedge Polar Alignment Adjusting Problem

Reaching out to everyone for a little assistance. I have been trying to use this for sometime now and feel I am wasting so much time, not being able to get it polar aligned correctly.  

I am using a Celestron NexStar C11 which I want to use on a wedge. I have a heavy duty original Celestron wedge I have had for years and now am trying to use it. Turn the scope on, I select North EQ alignment, we get to the part of the scope rotating around and facing the celestial pole, (so the scope and forks are pointing North), but the pole is still located above where the forks and scope are pointed. I know that means that the wedge needs to be adjusted, but if it is already set for my position, why does it need to be adjusted? 

I have looked at other topics in these forums and found some and see some talk about more recent wedges and adjustment handles etc, but this one is not like those. I need to adjust the tilt by maybe 5 degrees higher to reach the pole. I included a picture of the wedge with different colored arrows to make it easier (I hope) to see which ones to loosen and adjust. I have looked at the instruction manual for this, but it does not appear to cover selling to someone else and how they can make adjustments to it for their position. Unless I am missing something. (My thought process is the forks and scope remain straight, the pole just lines up with it all, right?) 

According to the marking for latitude it is set correctly for where I am at - 32 degrees. The scope is level per the bubble on it, date and time are correct in the hand controller. 

It is an older wedge, the scope is on it, but if I can get this corrected, I would remove the scope just to adjust it if necessary. 

Appreciate the help,

Tom    

Wedge Adj.png

Wedge.png

Hi Tom

Loosen Red, Yellow, and Green (both sides of the wedge) and turn Blue to lower the tilt plate.

I've a vague memory that it should be set to 90 - 32 = 58 on the scale.

But that does not compute with this wedge, maybe it does with other brands:

If this wedge was set to 90 on the scale, the tilt plate would be parallel to the ground, and the scope would be pointing straight up.

At Lat 90 North Pole the scope would then be pointing to Polaris.

So 90 on the scale does mean Lat 90, the scale is correct.

Similarly at the Equator Lat 0 it would be pointing at the horizon, so would have to be set to 10 on the scale, and the north tripod leg lowered a bit.

So I don't know why your scope is located at Lat 32, the wedge is set to 32, but it's pointing high.

Michael

Okay, so this worked, but had to do it a few times and each time it had to be adjusted. Long story short, I also think I need a newer hand controller, I have one that cannot be updated. I loosened everything, made the necessary adjustments, then you click on one wrong thing during the alignment process and you can't go back just one star, just one, no big deal. Oh yes it is. Start over. 

Figured out the way to make everything move, did it with a spotter (just a precaution measure), but now know what and how it can be done. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Michael, 

Sorry for the delay in replying, been looking for work. 

Ended up at about 33-34, kind of hard to tell with no real marks on it, but loosening everything up and adjusting it worked. Hopefully I will not have to adjust that again. 

I am not use to loosening everything up and I know nuts and bolts are supposed to not break etc, but I wanted a spotter incase something went sideways or gravity took over etc and I end up speaking to my insurance agent about my deductible for a newer one. Having a witness couldn't hurt either.   

As for the Social Distancing, I had the high schooler can come out of his room for a few minutes to get some fresh night air. He survived it too. LOL 

Tom