Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mini PC ideas for all sky cam?

AstroPhil

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right area for this question if not, my apologies!

After our move to London I've re-set up an all sky camera on the roof. Despite the light pollution it's actually surprisingly good! The only easy way I found to avoid USB issues (as well as allow dew heater control and other things) was to mount one of these "mini PC's" in an IP67/68 box out there as well, and use that to control the camera PC via temviewer (I've managed to run an ethernet cable via an old satellite TV trunking so connectivity is good). However, the PC is incredibly slow (an atom powered 'monster' no less). I was thinking of an R Pi 4 based updgrade - but I cannot find much in the way of software to control a camera (SX Superstar based). Does anyone have an recomendations for Linux (Umbuntu Mate, say?) based capture software (such as Sharpcap /  Firecap) that might suit? 

Thanks!

Hi Phil,

I just released an update to AllSkEye which supports Indigo server. The idea is to use a Raspberry Pi at the camera end running an Indigo server (there is a ready made indigo sky image which you can install) taking the pictures. Using the indigo camera option in AllskEye you can now connect to the indigo server and control the camera. You still need a Windows pc to run AllSkEye but it can be located anywhere as long as it's connected to the same network.

There is more info here: http://www.indigo-astronomy.org

Kind regards,

Mike

• Like 1

On 22/04/2020 at 09:14, AngryDonkey said:

Hi Phil,

I just released an update to AllSkEye which supports Indigo server. The idea is to use a Raspberry Pi at the camera end running an Indigo server (there is a ready made indigo sky image which you can install) taking the pictures. Using the indigo camera option in AllskEye you can now connect to the indigo server and control the camera. You still need a Windows pc to run AllSkEye but it can be located anywhere as long as it's connected to the same network.

There is more info here: http://www.indigo-astronomy.org

Kind regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, sounds great - I have the new RPi4 on order anyway (just for trying out in my locked-down state!) so I'll gve this a go for sure, Cheers!