NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Entry Level DSLR

Littleguy80

I’ve always enjoyed photography and often take pictures with my iPhone either mounted on a tripod or attached to the eyepiece shooting through my scopes. I’m thinking about getting an entry level DSLR. I’m really looking for something that I can use as a bit of an all rounder. Uses are widefield, lunar/planetary through my refractor and normal family use. This isn’t a serious leap into the world of astrophotography, more of a small step up from smartphone photography. A little bit of research of entry level DSLRs suggested the option below. Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/canon-eos-250d-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55mm-75-300mm-lenses-4k-ultra-hd-24-1mp-wi-fi-bluetooth-optical-viewfinder-3-vari-angle-touch-screen-double-zoom-lens-kit-black/p4121579?sku=238110179&s_ppc=2dx92700046622705540&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyur0BRDcARIsAEt86IBVzgl4h-mzpwOkGvxh_srbCaZoZk0NYYLKBkTxbhJcYHLMlYJO3tkaAjy5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looks like a decent all rounder kit, though zoom lenses aren't the greatest for astrophotography.

Widefield I would add something fairly fast around f/2 14mm to 30mm. For nebula the Samyang 135mm or something up to 400mm or so. You won't need autofocus so lenses are cheaper.

Luna I would think 400mm minimum

Planetary, you will most likely want a telescope.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Looks like a decent all rounder kit, though zoom lenses aren't the greatest for astrophotography.

Widefield I would add something fairly fast around f/2 14mm to 30mm. For nebula the Samyang 135mm or something up to 400mm or so. You won't need autofocus so lenses are cheaper.

Luna I would think 400mm minimum

Planetary, you will most likely want a telescope.

Thank you! In terms of getting extra lenses, are there different connections onto the camera? I’m assuming the Canon would be compatible with quite a lot of lenses such as Samyang? My refractor just has try normal 2” compression ring. Again, I assume it’s just an adapter required to attach it to the Focuser?

Samyang and others all have Canon EF mount options so there are plenty to choose from.

You will need a Canon T-Ring adapter and 2" adapter. Depending on your telescopes back focus you may well need spacers as well to achieve focus.

If the compression ring can be unscrewed then a screw on adapter will be more stable.

• Thanks 1