Bushnell 6" Dobsonian

What are peoples thoughts on this telescope? I understand you get what you pay for but i have a budget of £500 for a decent telescope but have decided to wait for a while whilst i save more and was thinking this would be ok for the mean time. It appears small enough to fit in the car and is only £99.

A logical choice for the casual deep sky or planetary observer seeking a medium-aperture (150mm or 6") reflecting telescope that is extremely quick to set-up and easy to use. The Dobsonian mounting is well suited to the novice since there are no concerns about aligning the mounting, slow motion controls or potentially confusing co-ordinate setting circles: the telescope remains pointing where placed without the need for locks or clamps.

• Type : Dobsonian reflector

• Mount : Alt-azimuth

• Objective diameter : 150mm

• Focal length : 1200mm

• Focal ratio : f/8.0

• Eyepieces : 25mm

• Magnifications : 48x

• Maximum mag. : 300x

• Finder : 6x30

Dobsonian6.JPG

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/astro/intro.html

What do you think? is it ok for the price and will it tied me over till ive saved for my telescope(s)

Id be abit worried if the price had been dropped £400, There is no 6inch reflectors that cost £500 that I know of so I would say its just an advertising ploy to shift some stock, which is not selling ( why ). I would say get a decent pair of binos for your £ 100. or wait and put it towards some decent eye pieces.

My 2p worth

Mark

Thanks :lol: I have been considering purchasing bino's seperate from a telescope anyway so i might just do that. My brother is a plane spotter (Sorry bro its "Aviation Enthusiast") and i sometimes tag along with him so i could kill two birds with one stone really :)

You'd do best not to buy an inferior telescope just to tide you over. Get the best scope you can within your present budget, and save for an even better one. Then you will have two scopes that may have complimentary features, rather than a good scope, and a poor one that you want to get rid of. You could get a decent 6" or 8" dob well within your budget, and save for something really special later, when you have a better idea of what you want.

Or, check the used markets for good scopes at reasonable prices.

Archived