Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cone HaRGB

StargeezerTim

This the combined HA and RGB images. I must say, adding some Ha makes for a much nicer image than RGB alone.

35 X 5 min one shot RGB, 33 X 8 min Ha, Total 444 mins. Iso 800, DSS and PS.

100D and Star 71.

291484093_ConeHaRGBfinalafterscnrlowmb.thumb.jpg.c1ede20ab2afab36686e632248e09fae.jpg

Would only let me upload 4mb this time!

• Like 5

Did you add your Ha as luminance? I'll guess that you did. The problem with this is that the entire image is illuminated in fairly monochromatic red light, which denies the other colours the chance to take their place. Towards the middle of your image there is a big bright star surrounded by some blue reflection nebulosity - so it shows mostly in the blue channel. If you illuminate this in red light, in which it does not shine, you kill it.

I'd have a go at splitting your RGB channels and adding the Ha to red in blend mode lighten. That will keep your red Ha data where it belongs - in red.

Olly

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Did you add your Ha as luminance? I'll guess that you did. The problem with this is that the entire image is illuminated in fairly monochromatic red light, which denies the other colours the chance to take their place. Towards the middle of your image there is a big bright star surrounded by some blue reflection nebulosity - so it shows mostly in the blue channel. If you illuminate this in red light, in which it does not shine, you kill it.

I'd have a go at splitting your RGB channels and adding the Ha to red in blend mode lighten. That will keep your red Ha data where it belongs - in red.

Olly

Cheers, I followed s process where you replace the red channel with a blend of Ha and the red channel. Then I added the HA as luminence.

I think I've tried your suggestion in the past but as the Ha is slightly differently orientated the the rgb, you then have to crop it and it wouldn't recombine. I'll see if I can find a work round.

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I managed to add the Ha with lighten blend mode at 70%. Didn't use any luminence and this is what I came up with. Slightly more restrained but not sure if I like it any more! 😂

At least I would... but I cant add any more images.... Moderator help!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

I managed to add the Ha with lighten blend mode at 70%. Didn't use any luminence and this is what I came up with. Slightly more restrained but not sure if I like it any more! 😂

At least I would... but I cant add any more images.... Moderator help!!!!!!!

When you add Ha in Blend Mode Lighten you can save yourself the guesswork by adding it at 100% and saving the result. Then open the HaRGB and paste it onto the RGB  original so you adjust the opacity to give as much or as little of the Ha modification as you like.

Signed,

Layeroholic. 

Edited by ollypenrice

On 07/04/2020 at 10:54, ollypenrice said:

When you add Ha in Blend Mode Lighten you can save yourself the guesswork by adding it at 100% and saving the result. Then open the HaRGB and paste it onto the RGB  original so you adjust the opacity to give as much or as little of the Ha modification as you like.

Signed,

Layeroholic. 

Well I did add lighten at 100% opacity but it just turned the whole image deep red! I have processed again, using Ha as 70% luminance, and help back on the stretching and saturation to produce a more restrained version!

1466756088_ConeHRGBlighttouchfinal.thumb.png.e10f934eac9ebf317874cc133991f673.png

Aha, when you have the Ha posted onto the red in blend mode lighten it's important to be sure that the background sky level of the Ha is just below that of the red or it will, indeed, turn everything red. This is easy to do. Blink the Ha on-off in layers and if it's lifting the background you can bring its black point in a bit so it no longer does so. You can also put an S curve into the Ha, lowering it at the bottom and raising it further up.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1