NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

re processed M101 in Startools

red dwalf

Nice going! The star halos are likely caused by chromatic aberration. You can use the Filter module in StarTools to kill those fringes; create a star mask with the offending stars in it, then, back in the module, set Filter Mode to Fringe Killer. Now click on different halos and different parts of the halos (e.g. not the star cores, but the halos themselves!) until they have all but disappeared. You'll end up with white-ish stars for the stars that were affected, but many prefer this over the fringes.

NewComposite-from-startools-and-photoshop.jpg.83b69f84f24d169e0e2b4172ef6f2455.jpg.e90690c020929f7017483743847a1f3b.jpg

Finally, if you are suffering from colour blindness, be sure to make use of the MaxRGB mode in the Color module. It should allow you to check your colouring and colour balance to a good degree, as long as you can distinguish the brightness of the 3 maxima ok (most people can). See here for more info on how to use it.

Clear skies!

• Like 3

excellent, i love getting tips on how too, loads of videos on youtube but they never cover everything and until you mentioned it i had not notice the halos but they do look a lot better, i really wanted to bring out that faint spiral arm in the galaxy but struggled to do it, any ideas on that ?

1 hour ago, red dwalf said:

excellent, i love getting tips on how too, loads of videos on youtube but they never cover everything and until you mentioned it i had not notice the halos but they do look a lot better, i really wanted to bring out that faint spiral arm in the galaxy but struggled to do it, any ideas on that ?

Glad I could help! With regards to the spiral arms, it depends on your dataset. If you'd like to upload it somewhere I'd be happy to have a look.

For images like these, the HDR module's Reveal All mode may help, as well as the Sharp module from ST 1.6 (DSO Dark preset, overdrive the strength). You'd use these tools specifically as they govern small-medium scale detail.

It's also possible a different global stretch (with a Region of Interest in AutoDev) can lift some more detail from the murk. Much depends on your "murk" (e.g. how clean and well-calibrated the background is) as well :)

• Like 1